Skip to content


We’re ready to assist with your next construction or engineering project. From building permits to elevation certificates, we’ve assembled information for some of the most commonly asked questions that may be helpful to you.

Frequent Questions

Q: What size home can I build on my lot?

Two things determine the size home you can build on your lot. The lot setbacks and the impervious surface area limitations. Impervious surfaces are surfaces that allow little or no water infiltration like a roof, a concrete driveway, or pavers.

To determine lot setbacks, consult your local land development code. If a survey is available for the property, setbacks will likely be shown on the survey. Impervious surface limitations will also be shown in the land development code or municipal ordinance. If you would like help researching this information contact us.

Q: What is an Elevation Certificate and how do I know the required elevation of my house?

An elevation certificate is a FEMA document completed by a licensed surveyor that includes the flood zone of your property, the base flood elevation, and the required elevation of your existing or new home. This document provides the information to ensure homes are constructed to meet local flood ordinances and insurance requirements. These documents are not usually required in low-risk zones such as X zone.

Q: What is the CCCL and when do I need a CCCL permit?

The Coastal Construction Control Line (CCCL) is an imaginary line along the gulf coast of Florida within which the Florida Department of Environmental Protection regulates to protect beaches and dunes on private property. To find out more and to locate the CCCL in your area refer to the FDEP website, visit

Q: How do I know if I have wetlands on my property?

Some municipalities include approximate wetland boundaries on their GIS maps or tax assessor’s maps. However, these boundaries are only approximate and may not be current. If you suspect your property may include wetlands, contact and environmental engineer to have the wetlands delineated.

Q: What do I need for a residential building permit?

To determine what is needed for a building department in your area, check with your local building department. Many building departments provide checklists on their website.

Common items required for a building permit are:

  • Architectural plans (provided by an architect or home designer)
  • Structural engineering plans (prepared by a licensed engineer)
  • A site plan
  • Energy calculations
  • Roof and floor truss drawings (prepared by a truss manufacturer)
  • Window product data (provided by a window retailer or manufacturer)

We can help you with all of the above.

©2024 MB Engineering Services. All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy Site Map Site by KMA